Friday, January 15, 2010

Christmas Knitting for Children

My Christmas crafting has extended into January, but at least now I don't feel pressured by deadlines! :) Most of my gifts have been completed, but some still need to be delivered. Out of all the projects on today's post, only the robot was delivered by Christmas morning. This robot (from Knitted Toys by Zoe Mellor) was Matthew's special Christmas gift from me. Several months ago he and Pat were looking through the book when Matt spotted the robot. From that day forward, just about every day, Matt informed me (and anyone who enquired) that Santa was bringing him a robot for Christmas. And, yes, Santa delivered. Actually, we told Matt that Mommy was going to make the robot, then give it to Santa to place in his stocking (after Mommy and Daddy let him in the front door since the whole chimney/fireplace thing was a little scary; also, I didn't want Santa to get all the credit!). The robot was knitted on size 2 needles, and I finished it at 11:00pm on Christmas Eve. It was all worth it when Matthew spotted it the next morning, let out a little gasp, and said, "thank you, Mommy!"

My first goal was to make two pairs of these cute little gator mitts. I actually have the green portion for two pairs completed, but only had the patience to actually finish one pair. Hey, at least I have a head-start for next year!

There are a couple special little girls in my life who were born at about the same time as Ben--one was born the next day and the other just five days later. Since there are many blues and greens in my house, I have to take advantage of knitting some girly-colored gifts. Both these hats were made using Bulky Cashmerino (Debbie Bliss), size 10 needles, and a personal pattern that I've been working on. I had fun working in some eyelets and picot edging, and further expanding the details of this pattern. I hope to have all the kinks out soon and share it here in my little space on the web.

2 comments:

Julia and Aaron said...

All your crafts look great, as usual!

I was just thinking how much I love that you blog. It's so nice to be able to keep up with you a bit and I'm horrible at keeping in touch by phone.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts and comments! I enjoy them!

Britton said...

We just love Alanna's hat and rattle ball. Thank you for the wonderful gifts!