Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A New Obsession

Over the weekend I put aside my knitting projects and worked on some sewing. Since hauling out my sewing machine to make some bags for Christmas, I've been just a little obsessed. I bought a couple of books and fabric, asked my aunt for a some quiliting lessons (still to come...), and actually did some sewing! Both of these patterns are from Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. They were easy, fun, and I'm pleased with the results. I've actually used both of the items already. So, without further ado, first I have a vintage apron. It was my first time gathering fabric, and it probably took me about four hours in all. I'm sure that if you were more experienced than me, it would take about half that time. I'm happy with four hours, though, since I'm used to knitting projects that often take days, weeks, months, even years to complete!

Next I have the "artsy clutch." Amy Karol recommends the use of flannel instead of interfacing. I've never used interfacing before, so I can't really make a comparison, but I do love the way the clutch feels--so soft, yet also sturdy.
Now, Keri is having a bread-basket sew along. I'm excited to learn some more new sewing techniques. Thanks, Keri!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Now that you are a sewer and a knitter you should join your two worlds and sew yourself a knitting needle case, they are super easy to do and very functional.
I highly recommend it.

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Hehe - such a cute little apron and clutch! =) So glad you're joining us for the bread-basket along!