Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Turning Lemons into Lemonade

I have to admit it, I'm a sweater snob. I love nice sweaters, especially of the j.crew variety. Over the years I've built up quite a collection (most have been gifts--we're poor teachers!). Well, at the end of last winter I took about 6 of my prized sweaters to a local dry cleaner. I'm sure you all know where this is heading...basically, most of them were ruined. When I got them home I could barely fit into them, and it looked like someone had started the felting process and took them out of the wash before it was complete. I took them back and complained, and all they could do was try blocking them for me (they didn't even give me a refund)! Now they still don't fit and the seams are stretched to the max. Needless to say, I'm never going to that dry cleaners again. This all reminded me of the Seinfeld where Jerry tries to get the dry-cleaners to admit that they messed up his shirt.

Anyway, I was talking to a friend about this when she said she had seen an article somewhere about turning recycled sweaters into a throw. This piqued my curiosity, so I've already spent some time browing the 'net for examples. I found some good ones here and here. Now I have something to do with my "ruined" sweaters that will enable me to keep them in some shape or form. I'm actually excited about a new, and somewhat different, craft project. This will have to be after Christmas or after I finish all of my Christmas presents, whichever comes first (unfortunately, it's not necessarily finishing the presents!).

1 comment:

Paula said...

These sweater blankets are cute, maybe recycling your sweaters won't be such a bad thing after all.