Wednesday, February 3, 2010

WIP Wednesday and One Small Change, February


I've had a lot of this and that going on lately, and like my husband has pointed out several times, I often flit from one project to the another. Thus, Work-in-Progress Wednesdays! I've been working on this sweater (Ravelry link) from Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. I absolutely love the top-down, seamless construction, although I now have 270 stitches on my needles! It will all be work it in the end when I have minimal seaming. :) I've also been working on Valentine's Day presents, birthday presents, a pencil case, and wall pockets. Yes, flitting, from knitting to sewing to embroidery to crochet and back. Plus I bought an eight ounce bag of lavender from an Etsy seller the other day for no reason in particular. Hmm...any lavender ideas?

As discussed in this post, for the month of January my "one small change" was to routinely bake bread for my family instead of purchasing it at the store. This was a fairly successful endeavor, and I hope to bake more "from scratch" in the future. I also made some homemade yogurt and granola, which turned out well for the most part: the granola got burned but Matthew assured me that he still liked it. That's my boy.

For the month of February I've decided to take more steps towards green, diy, cleaning. I've dabbled in this, but the convenience of store-bought products typically gets the best of me. So, I've stocked up on baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, borax, tea tree oil, and castile soap. I'm excited to feel like a scientist as I mix my concoctions. Hopefully I'll also be inspired to clean and tidy the house a bit more as well! :)

3 comments:

Julia and Aaron said...

Katie, you'll have to let me know how your cleaners work. I'm interested.

Also, you could make some sachets with the lavendar to put in your underwear drawer or to give to people as gifts:). Just get a pretty fabric. I guess that's kind of a generic idea...

Thanks for the posts!

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Cool! I love making natural cleaners.

I do lavender and buckwheat hulls mixed together to make eye pillows that I stick in the fridge. They're so nice and cooling after a long day. Helps if the fabric you sew them out of is nice and soft too.

There's many other options, sachets of course and I also fill them with rice and make pincushions. Or you could just put some in a bowl and enjoy the smell =)

Britton said...

I've also done eye pillows with flaxseed and lavender...If you want to exchange any, I have an excess of flaxseed, and I'll take a little bit of lavender!

Also, this is a recipe a friend sent me for a greener cleaner:

2 TB salt
1/2 cup vinegar
60 drops orange essential oil
30 drops lemon essential oil
30 drops grapefruit essential oil
water
2 TB eco-friendly dish soap

In a quart jar or quart-size spray bottle, add 1 cup warm water. Add salt and swish to dissolve. Add vinegar and essential oils. Fill jar/bottle to within 1 inch of the top. Add dish soap. Cap and shake gently to combine. If using the quart jar to mix, pour solution into sprayer using funnel.

As a note, my friend said she usually uses a combination of lavender and bergamot essential oils, and this morning I made my mixture with tea tree (disinfectant properties) and peppermint. Smells yummy!