Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby Blues

Thankfully, this post is about what's been on my needles lately, not post-partum depresson! I can't believe that it's already been a month since my last post, but I have been keeping pretty busy. I've had so many projects-in-progress and really wanted to finish all of them before blogging. Of course, life got in the way as well, as I've been tackling my "to-do before the baby is born list" and taking care of a sick kiddo.

First up I have my third pair of Stay-on Baby Booties from Knitting for Baby. I used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, and although it is super soft, I do like the Koigu better. The gauge on this pair is a bit off, so they're probably be a little big for a newborn. Hopefully they'll still get plenty of use!

After seeing Soule Mama's beautiful kicking bag, I decided to make one of my own. I even had some sock yarn in my stash that worked out wonderfully. This did take a while since I was using size 2 needles, but it the was perfect project for car rides and watching tv. The wool/cotton blend will also be perfect for the summer: our days can reach the 90s, but our nights are still quite cool. (The kicking sack looks like a giant water-bottle cover just in case you're wondering; I just liked this close-up of the mock-cable ribbing the best of all the pics...)

Now this next project I finished months ago. For some reason I just wasn't very motivated to get out the camera. With Matthew we ended up doing part-time cloth diapering, but this time around I am determined to go full-time. I have learned a lot about the dos and don'ts, and hopefully this little one won't have Matthew's very sensitive skin. I purchased this pattern, the Hybrid Rib Soaker, more than a year-and-a-half ago from Little Turtle Knits, but this is the first time I'm actually knit it. It was super quick and a great stash buster (I used leftover Paton's Merino Wool from Pat's Cobblestone Pullover). The pattern comes in many sizes (perhaps 5?) and with the option of using either dk or worsted weight yarn. This cover is a size small and is just so adorable. I can't wait to meet its wearer!

Finally, everybody needs some good washcloths. A couple weeks ago, out of the blue, I had an itch to make some washcloths. I even had some Peaches and Creme cotton lying around (another stash-buster, yay!) and found this pattern after searching Ravelry (there is actually a VERY similar pattern in Knitting for Baby, but the Grandmother's Favorite is free). There's just something nostalgic about knitting washcloths for babies, don't you think? Anyway, I figured our new little one would appreciate his own washcloths instead of stained hand-me-downs from his brother. I plan on knitting many more in the future!

Finally, I'd like to thank you for all of your kind comments on my last post. I sometimes hesitate about sharing something so personal, but I do believe that those ups and downs of pregnancy, motherhood, and life in general, are all very real. I don't know of any "perfect" families, and although I often just enjoy highlighting the positive aspects of my life on this blog, I believe that it's more honest of me to also mention some of the trials. Life is good, but sometimes the road can get a bit bumpy.

Have a terrific weekend!

No comments: