Friday, September 26, 2008

Homecoming

Homecoming is pretty big deal in this one-high school town. I've definitely come to appreciate it more as I've gotten older. When I was in middle and high school I mostly appreciated getting out of school early. Yes, the dances were fun, and usually filled with drama, but I don't think I really thought about what it means for a town to come together. While watching the parade today I started thinking about how it is something that young and old, parents and children, sports players and spectators, and just regular towns-people can participate in. The scout troops provided a little bit of chaos to the parade while the Shriners (like always) brought up the rear in their mini go-carts.

Since my husband is a football coach, we stood with the team. It always pulls at my heart strings to watch teenage boys, who are usually trying to one-up their friends and show off in front of each other, display moments of tenderness and thoughtfullness around our son. They smiled, offered up high fives, and even popcorn, to Matthew. Matthew had fun getting as close to them as possible before they turned around and noticed he was there. He would then squeal and go running to Daddy. It was a fun afternoon. We tried to go to the first half of the game but unfortunately it was delayed because of lightning. I do miss going to the games...I have been working on a couple of counted-cross stitch projects for over a couple years now. On Monday something came over me, call it "motivation" perhaps, and I decided to finally finish them. It only took me a couple of hours, and the satisfaction was great. I just think that having framed cross-stitch pictures in a home gives it a cozy feel. The fly-fishing project was supposed to be a birthday present for DH two years ago, and I can't even remember when I started the bird project. Well, now they're done!
I have big plans for Christmas presents...more info to come. :) Have a terrific weekend!

2 comments:

elliebelle said...

Wow! Those cross stitch projects are amazing! Great job! :)

Heidi said...

how inspiring! Kudos to you, I still have a halfway finished cross stitch I started when my dh and I were dating 10 years ago :)
maybe I will finish it by the time I am 50