Sunday, June 8, 2008

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

Today we celebrated Matthew's first birthday with family, a picnic, and strawberry shortcake. We are blessed to have both sets of grandparents in town, as well as a great aunt and uncle and second cousin, and a great-grandfather 45 minutes away. This year has gone by so quickly. Everyone told me it would, but I think it's one of those things that you're not ever really prepared for. As I think about the challenges and blessings of the past year, I really believe that they are one and the same. The challenges have been the blessings--they've made me stronger, more patient, and more appreciative. My husband gave me a wonderful compliment when he said, "I think that a child's birthday should be a celebration of the mother--after all, she did all the work on the birth day." Pat's definitely not in the dog house tonight! :)
Durango was wonderful. It is so beautiful and peaceful there. We were about a mile from a lake (really a dammed-up river), and our cabin was surrounded by pine trees and mountain views. I especially enjoyed watching Matthew interact with my parents and brother. When we came back home he was really upset--he kept walking around the house looking for everyone and crying. Poor little guy. Sometimes it's hard to come home from vacation.

I was able to make it to Yarn-Durango, and didn't walk away empty-handed. The store is moving, so there were great sales. I added some kidsilk haze, Berroco alpaca, Blue Sky Alpacas organic cotton and alpaca silk to my stash. Now, I just need to find some projects...just one more reason why I love Ravelry--I can search a particular yarn and see the projects others have made with it. I already have some good ideas!

Update: I am almost done with Pat's cross-stitch, but there is no way Cobblestone will be done before Father's Day. Hey, at least I'm trying. :)

5 comments:

elliebelle said...

Ooo...that strawberry shortcake looks yummy!

Julia and Aaron said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! It IS hard to believe that the kids are (or are close to) a year old. Lilly doesn't feel old enough. I completely agree with you on the blessing/challenge thing, one in the same. In retrospect it does seem like it flew by, but I could definitely name some moments when I thought the kids would never get bigger! I'm glad you guys had a great trip and that Matthew enjoyed the family:)!

Bernadette said...

Yum! Strawberry shortcake! Happy Birthday Matthew~! Time really does fly by so quickly... Glad you had a wonderful time in Durango, and got to hit the yarn shop as well. Yarn sales are the BEST! You get to buy the stuff you love and feel good about your budget at the same time!

Paula said...

That picture of you and Matthew is adorable.
Happy Birthday!!!

Heidi said...

don't forget of course that you have come a long way too mama. Isn't it such an amazing journey?